FIA national assessment of data quality for forest health indicatorsAuthor(s): James A. Westfall
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-53. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Service. 80 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (2.4 MB)
The Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the U.S. Forest Service collects field data to assess the condition and trends of the nation's forest resources. A quality assurance program is implemented to assure that data are collected accurately with consistent protocols. A random subset of field plots is chosen to receive an additional, independent measurement by another field crew. This 'blind check' approach allows for comparison of measurements between the two crews. The measurement differences are evaluated against measurement quality objectives, which specify a level of measurement precision for each attribute. This information should be useful to data collection experts, as variables having poor measurement repeatability can be identified and examined for potential resolution. The results may also be of interest to analysts and researchers wanting to evaluate whether the repeatability of measurements is sufficient for their respective studies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWestfall, James A., ed. 2009. FIA national assessment of data quality of forest health indicators. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-53. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Service. 80 p.
Keywordsmeasurement error, classification error, quality assurance, forest inventory
- Forest Inventory and Analysis National Data Quality Assessment Report for 2000 to 2003
- Understory vegetation data quality assessment for the Interior West Forest and Inventory Analysis program
- Data quality in citizen science urban tree inventories
XML: View XML