Skip to Main Content
The South’s timber industry—an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007Author(s): Tony G. Johnson; James W. Bentley; Mike Howell
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS–164. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 52 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.52 MB)
DescriptionIn 2007, industrial roundwood output from the South’s forests totaled 8.22 billion cubic feet, 5 percent less than in 2005. Mill byproducts generated from primary manufacturers declined 8 percent to 2.95 billion cubic feet. Almost all plant residues produced were used for another product. Fuel and fiber products accounted for 82 percent of utilized plant byproducts. Pulpwood was the leading roundwood product at 3.55 billion cubic feet; saw logs ranked second at 3.45 billion cubic feet; veneer logs were third at 721 million cubic feet. The number of primary processing plants declined from 2,028 in 2005 to 1,882 in 2007. Total receipts declined 5 percent to 8.26 billion cubic feet.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJohnson, Tony G.; Bentley, James W.; Howell, Mike. 2009. The South’s timber industry—an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007. Resour. Bull. SRS–164. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 52 p.
KeywordsFIA, pulpwood, residues, roundwood, saw logs, veneer logs, wood movement.
- South Carolina's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007
- The South's timber industry -- an assessment of timber product output and use, 2005
- Kentucky’s timber industry--an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007
XML: View XML