Skip to Main Content
Rationale and Application of Tangential Scanning to Industrial Inspection of Hardwood LogsAuthor(s): Nand K. Gupta; Daniel L. Schmoldt; Bruce Isaacson
Source: Proceedings, International Conference on Multisource-Multisensor Information Fusion. II: 528-535.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (118 KB)
DescriptionIndustrial computed tomography (CT) inspection of hardwood logs has some unique requirements not found in other CT applications. Sawmill operations demand that large volumes of wood be scanned quickly at high spatial resolution for extended duty cycles. Current CT scanning geometries and commercial systems have both technical and economic [imitations. Tangential scanning is introduced here as an innovation that can make CT scanning economically and operationally viable in the hardwood sawmilling industry. This technique is presented in contrast to existing scanning geometries, where it incorporates their advantages, but shares none of their limitations. A bench prototype has been constructed and its operation is described. Future enhancements and improvements are enumerated.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGupta, Nand K.; Schmoldt, Daniel L.; Isaacson, Bruce. 1998. Rationale and Application of Tangential Scanning to Industrial Inspection of Hardwood Logs. Proceedings, International Conference on Multisource-Multisensor Information Fusion. II: 528-535.
- Tangential scanning of hardwood logs: developing an industrial computer tomography scanner
- Cooperative use of advanced scanning technology for low-volume hardwood processors
- CT Imaging of Hardwood Logs for Lumber Production
XML: View XML