Simulation modeling as a tool for understanding the landscape ecology of the southern pine beetle infestations in Southern Appalachian forests.Author(s): David MArtin Cairns; Charles W. Lafon; Andrew G. Birt; John D. Waldron; Maria Tchakerian; Robert N. Coulson; Weimin Xi; Kier Klepzig
Source: Geograpy Compass 2/3: 580-599
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (287.1 KB)
The forests of southeastern North America are influenced by a variety of
disturbances including fire and insect outbreaks. In this paper, we discuss the role
of disturbances in structuring forest landscapes with particular emphasis placed on
the reciprocal interaction between forest structure and outbreaks of the southern
pine beetle (Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann). We highlight work in which we
are currently involved to illustrate the importance and utility of using spatially
explicit forest modeling as a tool for understanding forest–insect interactions and
its potential role in determining management strategies.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCairns, David MArtin; Lafon, Charles W.; Birt, Andrew G.; Waldron, John D.; Tchakerian, Maria; Coulson, Robert N.; Xi, Weimin; Klepzig, Kier. 2008. Simulation modeling as a tool for understanding the landscape ecology of the southern pine beetle infestations in Southern Appalachian forests. Geograpy Compass 2/3: 580-599
- Simulating the impacts of southern pine beetle and fire on the dynamics of xerophytic pine landscapes in the southern Appalachians
- Species composition and succession in yellow pine stands following southern pine beetle outbreaks in Tennessee-preliminary results
- Why do populations of southern pine beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) fluctuate?
XML: View XML