Attraction of Anoplophora glabripennis to male-produced phermonone and plant volatilesAuthor(s): M.E. Nehme; M.A. Keena; A. Zhang; T.C. Baker; K. Hoover
Source: Environmental Entomology. 38(6): 1745-1755.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (534.86 KB)
The male-produced pheromone of Anoplophora glabripennis (Motschulsky) (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), which is an equal blend of 4-(n-heptyloxy)butan-1-ol and 4-(n-heptyloxy)butanal, was used in laboratory bioassays and in the greenhouse to determine its potential for attracting A. glabripennis adults. In modifed “walking wind tunnels,” virgin females were most attracted to the alcohol component, and virgin males were repelled by the pheromone blend at the lowest and highest amounts offered. Y-tube olfactometer bioassays also showed that females were significantly more attracted to the pheromone and its components than males were. However, males were more attracted to plant volatiles than females.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNehme, M.E.; Keena, M.A.; Zhang, A.; Baker, T.C.; Hoover, K. 2009. Attraction of Anoplophora glabripennis to male-produced phermonone and plant volatiles
KeywordsAnoplophora glabripennis, male-produced pheromone, mate-finding, trap design, Cerambycidae
- Sex-specific trail pheromone mediates complex mate finding behavior in Anoplophora glabripennis
- Effects of pheromone and plant volatile release rates and ratios on trapping Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in China
- Sensory aspects of trail-following behaviors in the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis
XML: View XML