Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Regioselective preparation of (R)-2-(4-hydroxyphenoxy)propionic acid with a fungal peroxygenaseAuthor(s): Matthias Kinne; Rene Ullrich; Kenneth E. Hammel; Katrin Scheibner; Martin Hofrichter
Source: Tetrahedron letters. Vol. 49, no. 41 (Oct. 6, 2008): pages 5950-5953.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (239.95 KB)
The extracellular heme-thiolate peroxygenase of Agrocybe aegerita catalyzed the H2O2-dependent hydroxylation of 2-phenoxypropionic acid (POPA) to give the herbicide precursor 2-(4-hydroxyphenoxy)propionic acid (HPOPA). The reaction proceeded regioselectively with an isomeric purity near 98%, and yielded the desired R-isomer of HPOPA with an enantiomeric excess of 60%. 18O-labeling experiments showed that the phenolic hydroxyl in HPOPA originated from H2O2, which establishes that the reaction is mechanistically a peroxygenation. Our results raise the possibility that fungal peroxygenases may be useful for a variety of organic oxidations.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKinne, Matthias; Ullrich, Rene; Hammel, Kenneth E.; Scheibner, Katrin; Hofrichter, Martin. 2008. Regioselective preparation of (R)-2-(4-hydroxyphenoxy)propionic acid with a fungal peroxygenase. Tetrahedron letters. Vol. 49, no. 41 (Oct. 6, 2008): pages 5950-5953.
KeywordsPeroxidase, peroxygenase, oxygenase, cytochrome P450, hydroxylation, 2-(4-Hydroxyphenoxy)propionic acid, ascorbic acid, wood-decaying fungi, biodegradation, peroxidases, catalysis, oxidation, hydrogen peroxide, chemical reactions, enzymes, biotechnology, industrial applications, Basidiomycetes, Agrocybe aegerita, 2-phenoxypropionic acid, POPA
- Regioselective preparation of 5-hydroxypropranolol and 4´-hydroxydiclofenac with a fungal peroxygenase
- Stepwise oxygenations of toluene and 4-nitrotoluene by a fungal peroxygenase
- Oxidative cleavage of non-phenolic β-O-4 lignin model dimers by an extracellular aromatic peroxygenase
XML: View XML