Asian longhorned beetle successes and challenges in 2008Author(s): Robert M. Baca; Julie Twardowski; Christine Markham
Source: In: McManus, Katherine A; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. Proceedings. 20th U.S. Department of Agriculture interagency research forum on invasive species 2009; 2009 January 13-16; Annapolis, MD. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-51. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 5-6.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (124.15 KB)
In 2008, the Asian longhorned beetle (ALB) (Anoplophora glabripennis) program announced the eradication ALB in two previously infested areas--Hudson County, NJ, on April 7 and Chicago, IL, on April 17. Hudson County was a small infested site just west of Manhattan, NY. The first and last ALB detection was in October 2002. One hundred thirteen infested and 348 high risk host trees were removed. Four years of survey and 3 years of chemical treatment were completed to ensure ALB was eradicated from the area. ALB was first detected in Chicago in July 1998. At its peak, 35 square miles were quarantined. The program removed 1,551 infested and 220 high risk host trees from the area.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBaca,Robert M.; Twardowski,Julie; Markham, Christine. 2009. Asian longhorned beetle successes and challenges in 2008
- Assessing tree care professionals' awareness and knowledge about the Asian Longhorned Beetle
- Asian longhorned beetle (ALB) Anoplophora gabripennis: advancements in the eradication program
- Slowing spread of sudden oak death in Oregon forests, 2001–2015
XML: View XML