Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Comparison of estimation techniques for a forest inventory in which double sampling for stratification is usedAuthor(s): Michael S. Williams
Source: Forest Science. 47(4): 563-576
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (245.55 KB)
DescriptionA number of different estimators can be used when forest inventory plots cover two or more distinctly different condition classes. In this article the properties of two approximate Horvitz- Thompson (HT) estimators, a ratio of means (RM), and a mean of ratios (MR) estimator are explored in the framework of double sampling for stratification. Relevant theoretical properties are given, and a simulation study is used to compare the properties of these estimators. It is concluded that the variance of the RM estimator is smaller than that of the approximate HT for the populations studied, but that of the MR estimator is larger. While ratio estimators are known to be biased for small sample sizes, an additional bias also occurs when the population of interest has an edge-effect. The RM classical variance estimator underestimated the true variance in the simulation study. The approximate HT estimators exhibited biases that were generally smaller than those of the RM and MR estimators for populations with an edge-effect. Its classical variance estimator was essentially unbiased.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliams, Michael S. 2001. Comparison of estimation techniques for a forest inventory in which double sampling for stratification is used. Forest Science. 47(4): 563-576.
Keywordsratio of means estimator, mean of ratios estimator, Horvitz-Thompson estimator
- Determining sample size for tree utilization surveys
- Generalized and synthetic regression estimators for randomized branch sampling
- Confidence intervals for predicting lumber strength properties based on ratios of percentiles from two Weibull populations.
XML: View XML