Skip to Main Content
A study on integrating surveys of terrestrial natural resources: The Oregon Demonstration ProjectAuthor(s): J. Jeffery Goebel; Hans T. Schreuder; Carol C. House; Paul H. Geissler; Anthony R. Olsen; William Williams
Source: EPA/600/R-98/032. Corvallis, OR: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory. 44 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.99 MB)
DescriptionAn interagency project demonstrated the feasibility of integrating Federal surveys of terrestrial natural resources and offers a vision for that integration. At locations selected from forest inventory and analysis, National forest system Region 6, and national resources inventory surveys in a six-county area in Northern Oregon, experienced teams interpreted and made measurements on aerial photographs and measured on-site a range of soil, vegetation and animal attributes. The project demonstrated the feasibility of conducting a combined FIA/NFS/NRI survey at the substate level and suggests an approach that will preserve the utility of the critical historic information from these surveys. We suggest a framework for estimating the extent of forest and range land that explains FIA/NRI differences and provides a common basis for both surveys. We suggest indicator and protocol criteria that will allow compatible national and regional estimates over all vegetation types and stress the importance of including measurement repeatability in the design of the combined survey. We envision a program that integrates and-or coordinates inventory efforts measuring status and tends of terrestrial ecosystems under a combined structure supported by probability-based sampling.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGoebel, J. Jeffery; Schreuder, Hans T.; House, Carol C.; Geissler, Paul H.; Olsen, Anthony R.; Williams, William. 1998. A study on integrating surveys of terrestrial natural resources: The Oregon Demonstration Project. EPA/600/R-98/032. Corvallis, OR: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory. 44 p.
Keywordsmonitoring design, terrestrial surveys, integrating surveys, CENR framework, EMAP
- Extent of coterminous US rangelands: Quantifying implications of differing agency perspectives
- Coordination, Cooperation, and Collaboration between FIA and NRI
- Comparing Minnesota land cover/use area estimates using NRI and FIA data
XML: View XML