Impacts of elevated N inputs on north temperate forest soil C storage, C/N, and net N-mineralizationAuthor(s): L.E. Nave; E.D. Vance; C.W. Swanston; P.S. Curtis
Source: Geoderma. 153: 231-240.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (688.74 KB)
Nitrogen (N) availability influences carbon (C) storage in forest soils through effects on plant growth, litter production, and soil C decomposition and stabilization. Soil C/N and net N-mineralization are commonly reported empirical measures of soil N availability, and changes in these variables due to N inputs may feed back to soil C storage through a variety of biotic and abiotic pathways. We conducted a meta-analysis of the responses of soil C storage, C/N, and net N-mineralization (Nmin) to N inputs in north temperate forests. The modes of N addition we considered were the establishment of N-fixing vegetation (Nfix), N-fertilization (Nfert), and simulated chronic N deposition (Ndep).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNave, L.E.; Vance, E.D.; Swanston, C.W.; Curtis, P.S. 2009. Impacts of elevated N inputs on north temperate forest soil C storage, C/N, and net N-mineralization
Keywordsnorth temperate forest, nitrogen inputs, soil carbon, soil nitrogen, meta-analysis
- Fire effects on temperate forest soil C and N storage
- Differential sensitivity to climate change of C and N cycling processes across soil horizons in a northern hardwood forest
- Soil C and N storage and microbial biomass in US southern pine forests: Influence of forest management
XML: View XML