Skip to Main Content
Border Lakes land-cover classificationAuthor(s): Marvin Bauer; Brian Loeffelholz; Doug Shinneman
Source: Research Map NRS-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p. [DVD and printed map included].
Publication Series: Research Map (RMAP)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (10.34 MB)
DescriptionThis document contains metadata and description of land-cover classification of approximately 5.1 million acres of land bordering Minnesota, U.S.A. and Ontario, Canada. The classification focused on the separation and identification of specific forest-cover types. Some separation of the nonforest classes also was performed. The classification was derived from multi-temporal Landsat TM/ETM+ imagery (collected from the years 1999-2001) using eCognition segmentation software to identify stands and the kNN algorithm to perform the spectral classification. Reference data sites were obtained for Minnesota from the Forest Inventory and Monitoring program dataset and for Ontario from the Forest Resource Inventory program. This dataset was created as an input layer in the LANDIS-II forest landscape model for simulation of future forest disturbance and compositional change over the Border Lakes landscape.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBauer, Marvin; Loeffelholz, Brian; Shinneman, Doug. 2009. Border Lakes land-cover classification. Research Map NRS-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p. [DVD and printed map included].
KeywordsMinnesota, Ontario, Quetico Provincial Park, Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Voyageurs National Park, land-cover type, Landsat, forest
- Forest land cover change (1975-2000) in the Greater Border Lakes region
- Accuracy assessment of biomass and forested area classification from modis, landstat-tm satellite imagery and forest inventory plot data
- Two-dimensional wavelet analysis of spruce budworm host basal area in the Border Lakes landscape
XML: View XML