Methods for collecting ash (Fraxinus spp.) seedsAuthor(s): Kathleen S. Knight; Robert P. Karrfalt; Mary E. Mason
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-55. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 14 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (959.36 KB)
The threat of emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) has necessitated ash seed collection to preserve the ash genetic resource. For ash species found only in natural areas, we have developed seed collection methods that require no special training or certification. Collection techniques for natural areas include pole pruners for branches lower than 30 ft (9 m) and ropes or rope saws for higher branches. Seed collection must be timed correctly by examining samara color, seed coat color, and embryo size to be sure that seeds are fully mature. Documentation of seed identity and post-harvest handling of seeds are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKnight, Kathleen S.; Karrfalt, Robert P.; Mason, Mary E. 2010. Methods for collecting ash (Fraxinus spp) seeds
KeywordsFraxinus, ash, seed, samara, collection
- Bird community relationships to succession in green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) woodlands
- Biomass and Nutrient Distribution in 3-Year Old Green Ash and Swamp Chestnut Oak Grown in a Minor Stream Bottom
- A spacing trial in tropical ash ... an interim report
XML: View XML