Skip to Main Content
A Hierarchical Model and Analysis of Factors Affecting the Adoption of Timber as a BridgeAuthor(s): Robert L. Smith; Robert J. Bush; Daniel L. Schmoldt
Source: Wood and Fiber Science. 27(3): 225-238
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (164 KB)
DescriptionThe Analytical Hierarchy Process was used to characterize the bridge material selection decisions of highway engineers and local highway officials across the United States. State Department of Transportation engineers, private consulting engineers, and local highway officials were personally interviewed in Mississippi, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin to identify how various factors determine their choice of a bridge material. The Analytical Hierarchy Process was used to quantify this subjective data and to model the selection decision for different groups of decision-makers. Prestressed concrete was the material of choice in the majority of cases. This was followed by reinforced concrete, steel, and timber. Local highway officials chose timber more often than did either group of engineers. These results indicate that timber will remain a niche market for bridge applications.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, Robert L.; Bush, Robert J.; Schmoldt, Daniel L. 1995. A Hierarchical Model and Analysis of Factors Affecting the Adoption of Timber as a Bridge. Wood and Fiber Science. 27(3): 225-238
- Understanding Customer Product Choices: A Case Study Using the Analytical Hierarchy Process
- A Hierarchical Analysis of Bridge Decision Makers ... The Role of New Technology Adoption in the Timber Bridge Market: Special Project
- The Selection of Bridge Materials Utilizing the Analytical Hierarchy Process
XML: View XML