Skip to Main Content
BirdsAuthor(s): Jared Verner; Edward C. Beedy; Stephen L. Granholm; Lyman V. Ritter; Edward F. Toth
Source: In: Verner, Jared; Boss, Allan S., technical coordinators 1980. California wildlife and their habitats: western Sierra Nevada. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-37. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Exp. Stn., Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: p. 75-320
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
PDF: Download Publication (7.22 MB)
DescriptionThis chapter offers information on the status, distribution (by habitat type and seral stage), and basic life history for each of 208 species of birds that are found in the western Sierra Nevada. Many of the data came from the literature, altl)ough the professional ornithologists involved with this project drew upon extensive personal experience with birds in the Sierra Nevada. Knowledge of the details of bird life in the western Sierra Nevada is scanty at best. Pertinent data on life histories of many species simply were unavailable, while for a majority of those species for which data are presented, the studies cited were done somewhere other than in the western Sierra Nevada. Even assignment of species to habitat types and seral stages was based less on solid information available in the literature, and more on the field experience and judgment of those involved in the project. Therefore, the information reported here is subject to refinement, correction, and revision.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVerner, Jared; Beedy, Edward C.; Granholm, Stephen L.; Ritter, Lyman V.; Toth, Edward F. 1980. Birds. Basey, Harold E.; Sinclear, David A. 1980. Amphibians. In: Verner, Jared; Boss, Allan S., technical coordinators 1980. California wildlife and their habitats: western Sierra Nevada. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-37. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Exp. Stn., Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: p. 75-320
- Grassland bird densities in seral stages of mixed-grass prairie
- California wildlife and their habitats: western Sierra Nevada
XML: View XML