Effect of surface wettability on germination and gene expression in Cronartium quercuum f. sp. fusiforme basidiospores.Author(s): L.G. Baker; Pauline Spaine; S.F. Covert
Source: Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 63:168-175
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (257.9 KB)
Cronartium quercuum f. sp. fusiforme is an obligate pathogen of pine and oak. Its basidiospores are specifically adapted to recognize and establish infections on the pine host. Depending on environmental cues, the basidiospores can germinate directly, which typically leads to infection of pine, or indirectly, which usually results in formation of secondary basidiospores. We investigated how changes in surface wettability, or hydrophilicity, affect basidiospore germination. When we decreased surface wettability, the direct germination and total germination (direct+indirect) frequencies increased. Additionally, there was a critical threshold between 42% and 54% wettability, at which the basidiospores switched from direct to indirect germination. We conclude that the germination type of C. q. fusiforme basidiospores is influenced by the hydrophilicity of the surface upon which they land. To gain insight into gene expression during basidiospore germination, we made two suppression subtraction hybridization (SSH) libraries enriched for genes expressed during each type of germination. A total of 172 unique gene sequences were recovered from the two expression libraries. Annotation of these libraries indicates that they include several clones that may encode rust-specific or basidiomycete-specific functions.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBaker, L.G.; Spaine, P.; Covert, S.F. 2006. Effect of surface wettability on germination and gene expression in Cronartium quercuum f. sp. fusiforme basidiospores.Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 63:168-175
KeywordsCronartium quercuum f. sp., fusiforme, Basidiospore, Germination, Wettability, EST
- Nuclear behavior during basidiospore germination in Cronartium quercuum f. sp. fusiforme
- Bulked fusiform rust inocula and Fr gene interactions in loblolly pine
- Differential gene expression in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) challenged with the fusiform rust fungus, Cronartium quercuum f.sp. fusiforme
XML: View XML