Skip to Main Content
Understory cover and biomass indices predictions for forest ecosystems of the Northwestern United StatesAuthor(s): Vasile A. Suchar; Nicholas L. Crookston
Source: Ecological Indicators. 10: 602-609.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (156.43 KB)
DescriptionThe understory community is a critical component of many processes of forest ecosystems. Cover and biomass indices of shrubs and herbs of forested ecosystems of Northwestern United States are presented. Various forest data were recorded for 10,895 plots during a Current Vegetation Survey, over the National Forest lands of entire Pacific Northwest. No significant relationships between the percent canopy cover and understory percent cover and biomass indices were found for the 129 ecoclasses analyzed. Disturbance time and type, and the soil characteristics significantly influenced the shrub biomass indices (p-values of <0.001, <0.001, and 0.01, respectively). Only disturbance time and type significantly influenced the shrub percent cover (p-values <0.001). There were no significant interactions between these variables. No significant differences were found for herb biomass indices and cover. Climate variables are reasonable predictors of understory cover and biomass indices. Elevation and slope are also influential: understory cover decreases with altitude, while understory biomass increases with slope. Most models showed weak predictive power (adjusted R-squared ≤0.27). However, robust models for the maximum/potential understory biomass indices for the forested areas in the Northwestern United States are reported (adjusted R-squared of 0.76 and 0.51 for shrubs and herbs, respectively). Overall, our study provides conceptual and statistical models for the understory of the National Forest lands of the Pacific Northwest. The results are comparable with other models for the area, suggesting that the predictions regarding understory vegetation are inherently difficult.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSuchar, Vasile A.; Crookston, Nicholas L. 2010. Understory cover and biomass indices predictions for forest ecosystems of the Northwestern United States. Ecological Indicators. 10: 602-609.
Keywordsunderstory cover and biomass, Pacific Northwest, understoryoverstory relationship, understoryclimate relationship
- Assessing intra- and inter-regional climate effects on Douglas-fir biomass dynamics in Oregon and Washington, USA
- Potential management of young-growth stands for understory vegetation and wildlife habitat in southeastern Alaska.
- Estimating Rhododendron maximum L. (Ericaceae) Canopy Cover Using GPS/GIS Technology
XML: View XML