Skip to Main Content
Ecosystem services: foundations, opportunities, and challenges for the forest products sectorAuthor(s): Trista M. Patterson; Dana L. Coelho
Source: Forest Ecology and Management. 257(8): 1637-1646
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (892.0 KB)
DescriptionThe ecosystem service concept has been proposed as a meaningful framework for natural resource management. In theory, it holds concomitant benefit and consequence for the forest product sector. However, numerous barriers impede practitioners from developing concrete and enduring responses to emerging ecosystem service markets, policies, and initiatives. Principal among these barriers is that the ecosystem service concept has a complex history, numerous definitions in use, and an astounding diversity in rationale and application. This article provides a conceptual review of ecosystem services and their economic foundations, distinguishes among several current definitions of the term and their relatedness to strategies in practical application, discusses diverse approaches to valuation, and explores potential for future relevance in forest product and other sectors.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPatterson, Trista M.; Coelho, Dana L. 2009. Ecosystem services: foundations, opportunities, and challenges for the forest products sector. Forest Ecology and Management. 257(8):1637-1646.
KeywordsEcosystem services, natural resource management, forest products
- Intensive management – can the South really live without it?
- What is a cooperative?
- Environmental values and their relationship to ecological services
XML: View XML