Skip to Main Content
Estimating volume, biomass, and potential emissions of hand-piled fuelsAuthor(s): Clinton S. Wright; Cameron S. Balog; Jeffrey W. Kelly
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-805. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 23 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.55 MB)
DescriptionDimensions, volume, and biomass were measured for 121 hand-constructed piles composed primarily of coniferous (n = 63) and shrub/hardwood (n = 58) material at sites in Washington and California. Equations using pile dimensions, shape, and type allow users to accurately estimate the biomass of hand piles. Equations for estimating true pile volume from simple geometric shapes and measurements of pile dimensions were also developed for users who require estimates of pile volume for regulatory reporting. Biomass and volume estimation equations were developed to allow users to estimate either value from pile dimensions. Hand pile biomass estimates can be used to predict fuel consumption and smoke emissions by applying proportional consumption estimates and emission factors. Equations to estimate pile volume, pile biomass, fuel consumption, and pollutant emissions from pile shape, dimensions, and quantity are programmed into a Web-based calculator for use by the management and regulatory communities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWright, Clinton S.; Balog, Cameron S.; Kelly, Jeffrey W. 2009. Estimating volume, biomass, and potential emissions of hand-piled fuels. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-805. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 23 p.
KeywordsHand piles, fuel, fuel treatment, biomass, emissions, smoke management.
- Guidelines for estimating volume, biomass, and smoke production for piled slash.
- Biomass production on the Olympic and Kitsap Peninsulas, Washington: updated logging residue ratios, slash pile volume-to-weight ratios, and supply curves for selected locations
- Estimating live fuels for shrubs and herbs with BIOPAK.
XML: View XML