Emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) attraction to stressed or baited ash treesAuthor(s): Deborah G. McCullough; Therese M. Poland; Andrea C. Anulewicz; David Cappaert
Source: Environmental Entomology. 38(6): 1756-1764.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (249.01 KB)
Emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), has killed millions of ash (Fraxinus sp.) trees in North America since its discovery in Michigan in 2002. Efficient methods to detect low-density A. planipennis populations remain a critical priority for regulatory and resource management agencies. We compared the density of adult A. planipennis captured on sticky bands and larval density among ash trees that were girdled for 1 or 2 yr, wounded, exposed to the stress-elicitor methyl jasmonate, baited with Manuka oil lures, or left untreated. Studies were conducted at four sites in 2006 and 2007, where A. planipennis densities on untreated trees ranged from very low to moderate.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCullough, Deborah G.; Poland, Therese M.; Anulewicz, Andrea C.; Cappaert, David. 2009. Emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) attraction to stressed or baited ash trees. Environmental Entomology 38: 1668-1679.
Keywordstrap tree, detection methods, methyl jasmonate, Manuka oil, girdled trees
- Effects of trap type, placement and ash distribution on emerald ash borer captures in a low density site
- Evaluation of double-decker traps for emerald ash borer (Coleoptera:Buprestidae)
- Development of a host-based semiochemical lure for trapping emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae)
XML: View XML