Stratified estimation of forest inventory variables using spatially summarized stratificationsAuthor(s): R.E. McRoberts; D.G. Wendt; G.C. Liknes
Source: Silva Fennica. 39(4): 559-571.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.15 MB)
Large area natural resource inventory programs typically report estimates for selected geographic areas such as states or provinces, counties, and municipalities. To increase the precision of estimates, inventory programs may use stratified estimation, with classified satellite imagery having been found to be an efficient and effective basis for stratification. For the benefit of users who desire additional analyses, the inventory programs often make data and estimation procedures available via the Internet. For their own analyses, users frequently request access to stratifications used by the inventory programs. When data analysis is via the Internet and stratifications are based on classifications of even medium resolution satellite imagery, the memory requirements for storing the stratifications and the online time for processing them may be excessive. One solution is to summarize the stratifications at coarser spatial scales, thus reducing both storage requirements and processing time. If the bias and loss of precision resulting from using summaries of stratifications is acceptably small, then this approach is viable.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, R.E.; Wendt, D.G.; Liknes, G.C. 2005. Stratified estimation of forest inventory variables using spatially summarized stratifications
Keywordsbias, classified satellite imagery, Internet, precision, variance
- Using satellite imagery as ancillary data for increasing the precision of estimates for the Forest Inventory and Analysis program of the USDA Forest Service
- Implementing a land cover stratification on-the-fly
- A Model-Based Approach to Inventory Stratification
XML: View XML