Skip to Main Content
Modeling seasonal changes in live fuel moisture and equivalent water thickness using a cumulative water balance indexAuthor(s): Philip E. Dennison; Dar A. Roberts; Sommer R. Thorgusen; Jon C. Regelbrugge; David Weise; Christopher Lee
Source: Remote Sensing of the Environment 88(4): 442-452
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
View PDF (702.22 KB)
DescriptionLive fuel moisture, an important determinant of fire danger in Mediterranean ecosystems, exhibits seasonal changes in response to soil water availability. Both drought stress indices based on meteorological data and remote sensing indices based on vegetation water absorption can be used to monitor live fuel moisture. In this study, a cumulative water balance index (CWBI) for a time series spanning 1994–1997 and 1999–2001 was compared to field measured live fuel moisture and to equivalent water thickness (EWT) calculated from remote sensing data. A sigmoidal function was used to model the relationships between CWBI, live fuel moisture, and EWT. Both live fuel moisture and EWT reach minima at large CWBI deficits. Minimum and maximum live fuel moisture, minimum and maximum EWT, and the modeled inflection points of both live fuel moisture and EWT were found to vary with vegetation type. Modeled minimum and maximum EWT were also found to vary with vegetation biomass. Spatial variation in modeled EWT inflection points may be due to vegetation type and to local variation in soil moisture. Based on their temporal and spatial attributes, CWBI and EWT offer complimentary methods for monitoring live fuel moisture for fire danger assessment.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDennison, Philip E. ; Roberts, Dar A.; Thorgusen, Sommer R.; Regelbrugge, Jon C.; Weise, David; Lee, Christopher. 2003. Modeling seasonal changes in live fuel moisture and equivalent water thickness using a cumulative water balance index. Remote Sensing of the Environment 88(4): 442-452
KeywordsLive fuel moisture, Equivalent water thickness, Cumulative water balance index
- Use of Normalized Difference Water Index for monitoring live fuel moisture
- Spectroscopic analysis of seasonal changes in live fuel moisture content and leaf dry mass
- Linking Fuel Inventories With Atmospheric Data for Assessment of Fire Danger
XML: View XML