Skip to Main Content
The Sagebrush Steppe Treatment Evaluation Project (SageSTEP): a test of state-and-transition theoryAuthor(s): James D. McIver; Mark Brunson; Steve C. Bunting; Jeanne Chambers; Nora Devoe; Paul Doescher; James Grace; Dale Johnson; Steve Knick; Richard Miller; Mike Pellant; Fred Pierson; David Pyke; Kim Rollins; Bruce Roundy; Eugene Schupp; Robin Tausch; David Turner
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-237. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 16 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.55 MB)
DescriptionThe Sagebrush Steppe Treatment Evaluation Project (SageSTEP) is a comprehensive, integrated, long-term study that evaluates the ecological effects of fire and fire surrogate treatments designed to reduce fuel and to restore sagebrush (Artemisia spp.) communities of the Great Basin and surrounding areas. SageSTEP has several features that make it ideal for testing hypotheses from state-and-transition theory: it is long-term, experimental, multisite, and multivariate, and treatments are applied across condition gradients, allowing for potential identification of biotic thresholds. The project will determine the conditions under which sagebrush steppe ecological communities recover on their own following fuel treatment versus the communities crossing ecological thresholds, which requires expensive active restoration.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcIver, James D.; Brunson, Mark; Bunting, Steve C.; Chambers, Jeanne; Devoe, Nora; Doescher, Paul; Grace, James; Johnson, Dale; Knick, Steve; Miller, Richard; Pellant, Mike; Pierson, Fred; Pyke, David; Rollins, Kim; Roundy, Bruce; Schupp, Eugene; Tausch, Robin; Turner, David. 2010. The Sagebrush Steppe Treatment Evaluation Project (SageSTEP): a test of state-and-transition theory. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-237. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 16 p.
Keywordsfire surrogates, fire regimes, thresholds, resilience
- The economics of fuel management: Wildfire, invasive plants, and the dynamics of sagebrush rangelands in the western United States
- A synopsis of short-term response to alternative restoration treatments in Sagebrush-Steppe: The SageSTEP Project
- Restoring Wyoming big sagebrush
XML: View XML