Skip to Main Content
Beech bark disease: the oldest "new" threat to American beech in the United StatesAuthor(s): Jennifer L. Koch
Source: Outlooks on Pest Management. April 2010: 64-68.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.34 MB)
DescriptionBeech bark disease (BBD) has been killing American beech trees in eastern North America since the late 1890s (Ehrlich, 1934). The disease is initiated by feeding of the beech scale insect, Cryptococcus fagisuga, which leads to the development of small fissures in the bark. Over time, as the population of scale insects builds on the bark, the small wounds provide entryway for fungal infection by one of the species of Neonectria. As the fungus invades, it kills the inner bark tissue and, may completely girdle the tree, leading to death. Cankers may form as the tree attempts to stop the infection from spreading, resulting in wood defects.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKoch, Jennifer L. 2010. Beech bark disease: the oldest "new" threat to American beech in the United States. Outlooks on Pest Management. April 2010: 64-68.
Keywordsbeech scale insec, Cryptococcus fagisuga, American beech, Fagus grandifolia, Neonectria, beech bark disease
- Genome-wide association study identifies a major gene for beech bark disease resistance in American beech (Fagus grandifolia Ehrh.)
- A technique to screen American beech for resistance to the beech scale insect (Cryptococcus fagisuga Lind.)
- Managing Understory Fagus grandifolia for Promoting Beech Bark Disease Resistance in Northern Hardwood Stands
XML: View XML