Skip to Main Content
Biomass burning and urban air pollution over the Central Mexican PlateauAuthor(s): J. D. Crounse; P. F. DeCarlo; D. R. Blake; L. K. Emmons; T. L. Campos; E. C. Apel; A. D. Clarke; A. J. Weinheimer; D. C. McCabe; R. J. Yokelson; J. L. Jimenez; P. O. Wennberg
Source: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 9: 4929-4944.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.7 MB)
DescriptionObservations during the 2006 dry season of highly elevated concentrations of cyanides in the atmosphere above Mexico City (MC) and the surrounding plains demonstrate that biomass burning (BB) significantly impacted air quality in the region. We find that during the period of our measurements, fires contribute more than half of the organic aerosol mass and submicron aerosol scattering, and one third of the enhancement in benzene, reactive nitrogen, and carbon monoxide in the outflow from the plateau. The combination of biomass burning and anthropogenic emissions will affect ozone chemistry in the MC outflow.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrounse, J. D.; DeCarlo, P. F.; Blake, D. R.; Emmons, L. K.; Campos, T. L.; Apel, E. C.; Clarke, A. D.; Weinheimer, A. J.; McCabe, D. C.; Yokelson, R. J.; Jimenez, J. L.; Wennberg, P. O. 2009. Biomass burning and urban air pollution over the Central Mexican Plateau. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 9: 4929-4944.
Keywordsbiomass burning, urban air pollution, Central Mexican Plateau
- Biomass burning and urban air pollution over the central Mexican Plateau [Discussions]
- Emissions from forest fires near Mexico City.
- Ice nuclei emissions from biomass burning
XML: View XML