Skip to Main Content
Pest risk maps for invasive alien species: a roadmap for improvementAuthor(s): Robert C. Venette; Darren J. Kriticos; Roger D. Magarey; Frank H. Koch; Richard H. A. Baker; Susan P. Worner; Nadila N. Gomez Raboteaux; Daniel W. McKenney; Erhard J. Dobesberger; Denys Yemshanov; Paul J. De Barro; William D. Hutchinson; Glenn Fowler; Tom M. Kalaris; John Pedlar
Source: Bioscience 60(5):349-362.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.88 MB)
DescriptionPest risk maps are powerful visual communication tools to describe where invasive alien species might arrive, establish, spread, or cause harmful impacts. These maps inform strategic and tactical pest management decisions, such as potential restrictions on international trade or the design of pest surveys and domestic quarantines. Diverse methods are available to create pest risk maps, and can potentially yield different depictions of risk for the same species. Inherent uncertainties about the biology of the invader, future climate conditions, and species interactions further complicate map interpretation. If multiple maps are available, risk managers must choose how to incorporate the various representations of risk into their decisionmaking process, and may make significant errors if they misunderstand what each map portrays. This article describes the need for pest risk maps, compares pest risk mapping methods, and recommends future research to improve such important decision-support tools.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVenette, Robert C.; Kriticos, Darren J.; Magarey, Roger D.; Koch, Frank H.; Baker, Richard H. A.; Worner, Susan P.; Raboteaux, Nadila N. Gomez; McKenney, Daniel W.; Dobesberger, Erhard J.; Yemshanov, Denys; De Barro, Paul J.; Hutchinson, William D.; Fowler, Glenn; Kalaris, Tom M.; Pedlar, John. 2010. Pest risk maps for invasive alien species: a roadmap for improvement. Bioscience 60(5):349-362.
Keywordsbiological invasions, biosecurity, ecological niche models, climate change, pest risk assessment
- Pest risk maps for invasive alien species: a roadmap for improvement
- Risk maps for targeting exotic plant pest detection programs in the United States
- Quantifying uncertainty in pest risk maps and assessments: adopting a risk-averse decision maker’s perspective
XML: View XML