Skip to Main Content
A small-bolt method for screening tree protectants against bark beetles (coleoptera: curculionidae)Author(s): B.L. Strom; L.M. Roton
Source: J. Entomol. Sci. 44(4): 1-12
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (701.01 KB)
DescriptionA simple, small-bolt method was developed and refi ned for evaluating and screening treatments being considered as prophylactics against bark beetles (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae). Using this method, 4 insecticide products (3 active ingredients) were evaluated against the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann, intermittently during a period spanning 1 day to 9 months postapplication. Permethrin (Astro®) showed the best residual effectiveness as determined by the small-bolt assay, followed by bifenthrin (Onyx®) and carbaryl (Ferti-Lome® and Sevin XLR Plus®). Bifenthrin has been reported as effective in fi eld tests with D. frontalis and carbaryl as ineffective, lending credence to the small-bolt method. Results with permethrin suggest that a more extensive evaluation may be warranted for this active ingredient. The method as developed provides a useful and effi cient tool for identifying preventive treatments that are unlikely to be effective against D. frontalis. Its use for screening ineffective products would limit expensive and time-consuming fi eld evaluations to treatments that show signifi cant promise. With additional refi nement, the small-bolt assay may provide most of the benefi ts of more costly testing methods while offering suffi cient fl exibility for comparing prophylactic treatments that rely on different modes of action.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStrom, B.L.; Roton, L.M. 2010. A small-bolt method for screening tree protectants against bark beetles (coleoptera: curculionidae). J. Entomol. Sci. 44(4): 1-12
Keywordspesticide evaluation, bioassay, prophylactic pesticides, pyrethroids, residual efficacy, dendroctonus
- Effectiveness of Cedar Oil Products for Preventing Host Use by Ips avulsus (Eichhoff) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in a Modified Small-Bolt Assay
- Evaluation of insecticides for protecting southwestern ponderosa pines from attack by engraver beetles (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae)
- Use of Chemicals for Prevention and Control of Southern Pine Beetle Infestations
XML: View XML