Skip to Main Content
Recovery of hemlock woolly adelgid predators in the high country of northwestern North Carolina, 2004-2008Author(s): Richard McDonald; David Mausel; Scott Salom; Loke Kok; Michael Montgomery; Gina Luker; Stan Steury; Gene Spears; Stewart Skeate; James Graham; Byron Hamstead.
Source: In: Onken, Brad; Reardon, Richard, comps. Fourth Symposium on hemlock woolly adelgid in the eastern United States; 2008 February 12-14; Hartford, CT. FHTET 2008-01. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 53-60.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.42 MB)
DescriptionThree species of predatory beetles have been released to combat infestations of the hemlock woolly adelgid in the High Country region of northwestern North Carolina. They are the spring/summer predators Sasajiscymnus tsugae Sasaji (St), Scymnus sinuanodulus Yu and Yao (Ss), and the winter/fall predator Laricobius nigrinus Fender (Ln). A total of 890 adults of St have been released at three sites and adults were recovered from two of the three sites; one site was two years old. We also recovered St from a site where no releases were made by this group (Lees McRae Field Site).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcDonald, Richard; Mausel, David; Salom, Scott; Kok, Loke; Montgomery, Michael; Luker, Gina; Steury, Stan; Spears, Gene; Skeate, Stewart; Graham, James; Hamstead, Byron. 2008. Recovery of hemlock woolly adelgid predators in the high country of northwestern North Carolina, 2004-2008. In: Onken, Brad; Reardon, Richard, comps. Fourth Symposium on hemlock woolly adelgid in the eastern United States; 2008 February 12-14; Hartford, CT. FHTET 2008-01. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 53-60.
- Impacts of hemlock decline and ecological considerations for hemlock stand restoration following hemlock woolly adelgid outbreaks
- Resistance of hemlock species and hybrids to hemlock woolly adelgid
- Hemlock declines rapidly with hemlock woolly adelgid infestation: impacts on the carbon cycle of the Southern Appalachian forests
XML: View XML