Skip to Main Content
Characterization of Beauveria bassiana (Ascomycota: Hypocreales) isolates associated with Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) populations in MichiganAuthor(s): Louela A. Castrillo; Leah S. Bauer; Houping Liu; Michael H. Griggs; John D. Vandenberg
Source: Biological Control. 54: 135-140.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (348.0 KB)
DescriptionEarlier research in Michigan on fungal entomopathogens of the emerald ash borer (EAB), a major invasive pest of ash trees, resulted in the isolation of Beauveria bassiana from late-instar larvae and pre-pupae. In the present study, some of these isolates were characterized and compared to ash bark- and soil-derived isolates to determine their reservoir and means of infecting immature EAB. Genetic characterization using seven microsatellite markers showed that most of the EAB-derived strains clustered with barkor soil-derived strains collected from the same site, indicating the indigenous nature of most strains isolated from EAB. More soil samples contained B. bassiana colony forming units than bark samples, suggesting that soil serves as the primary reservoir for fungal inocula. These inocula may be carried by rain splash and air current from the soil to the lower tree trunk where EAB may become infected.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationCastrillo, Louela A.; Bauer, Leah S.; Liu, Houping; Griggs, Michael H.; Vandenberg, John D. 2010. Characterization of Beauveria bassiana (Ascomycota: Hypocreales) isolates associated with Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) populations in Michigan. Biological Control. 54: 135-140.
KeywordsAgrilus planipennis, Beauveria bassiana, Fraxinus, entomopathogenic fungus, microsatellite markers, bioassay
- Susceptibility of two hymenopteran parasitoids of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) to the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana (Ascomycota: Hypocreales)
- Microbial control of emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) with Beauveria bassiana strain GHA: Greenhouse and field trials
- Microbial control of Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) with Beauveria bassiana strain GHA: field applications
XML: View XML