Skip to Main Content
Sulfonated amphiphilic block copolymers : synthesis, self-assembly in water, and application as stabilizer in emulsion polymerizationAuthor(s): Jiguang Zhang; Matthew R. Dubay; Carl J. Houtman; Steven J. Severtson
Source: Macromolecules. Vol. 42, no. 14 (July 28, 2009): pages 5080-5090.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
View PDF (1.16 MB)
DescriptionDescribed is the synthesis of diblock copolymers generated via sequential atom transfer radical polymerization (ATRP) of poly(n-butyl acrylate) (PnBA) followed by chain augmentation with either sulfonated poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) (PHEMA) or poly(2-hydroxyethyl acrylate) (PHEA) blocks. ATRP of PHEMA or PHEA from PnBA macroinitiator was conducted in acetone/methanol 50:50 (v/v) and produced diblock copolymers of low PDI (<1.3). Hydroxyl functional groups were converted to sulfonate through esterification using excess 2-sulfobenzoic acid cyclic anhydride (SBA). TEM images of aqueous block copolymer solutions reveal an array of polymer micelle morphologies including monodisperse spheres, cylinders, and cylinder aggregates. Surface tensions and critical micelle concentrations appear to be dependent more on hydrophile structure as opposed to its length. Application of the synthesized block copolymers as stabilizers for batch emulsion polymerization of n-butyl acrylate showed the polymeric surfactant effectively stabilizes latex particles and produces a lower polydispersity when compared with commonly applied commercial emulsifiers.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhang, Jiguang; Dubay, Matthew R.; Houtman, Carl J.; Severtson, Steven J. 2009. Sulfonated amphiphilic block copolymers : synthesis, self-assembly in water, and application as stabilizer in emulsion polymerization. Macromolecules. Vol. 42, no. 14 (July 28, 2009): pages 5080-5090.
KeywordsEsterification, acetone, methanol, diblock copolymers, block copolymers, hydroxyl group, sulfonates, polymerization, surface active agents, latex, polymers, atom transfer radical polymerization, ATRP, Poly(n-butyl acrylate), PNBA, Sulfonated poly(2-hydroxyethyl acrylate), PHEA, 2-sulfobenzoic acid cyclic anhydride, SBA, emulsifiers, amphiphilic additives, synthesis
- Polyacrylates with High Biomass Contents for Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives Prepared via Mini-emulsion Polymerization
- Synthesis of ethylene maleic anhydride copolymer containing fungicides and evaluation of their effect for wood decay resistance
- Nanoreinforced biocompatible hydrogels from wood hemicelluloses and cellulose whiskers
XML: View XML