Skip to Main Content
Monitoring the visitor experience at Buck Island Reef National MonumentAuthor(s): Alan R. Graefe; Roger L. Moore
Source: In: Vander Stoep, Gail A., ed. 1992. Proceedings of the 1991 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1991 April 7-9; Saratoga Springs, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-160. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 55-58.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (980.16 KB)
DescriptionThis paper examines relationships between visitor density levels and perceptions of crowding at a Caribbean coral reef. Reef visitors were more likely to report that the quality of their experience was enhanced, rather than reduced, by their encounters with other visitors. Perceived crowding was related to visitors' previous experience and the location of encounters with other visitors as well as various density-related measures.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationIn: Vander Stoep, Gail A., ed. 1992. Proceedings of the 1991 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium; 1991 April 7-9; Saratoga Springs, NY. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-160. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. p.55-58.
- Carrying capacity & visitor experience: Cape Hatteras National Seashore
- Crowding at Cape Lookout National Seashore: an examination of the influence of visitor characteristics on encounter norms and perceived crowding
- Standards of quality for river use within the Fort Niobrara wilderness area
XML: View XML