Skip to Main Content
Hemlock woolly adelgid (Homoptera: Adelgidae): stylet bundle insertion and feeding sitesAuthor(s): Rebecca F. Young; Kathleen S. Shields; Graeme P. Berlyn
Source: Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 88: 827-835.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.24 MB)
DescriptionStylet bundle insertion site, path traveled, and feeding site were examined for the hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae Annand, on needles from current and previous years of eastern hemlock, Tsuga canadensis Carriere. The stylet bundle is composed of 4 individual stylets--2 outer mandibular stylets and 2 inner maxillary stylets. A. tsugae inserts its stylet bundle on the adaxial side of eastern hemlock needles, proximal to the twig with respect to the leaf abscission layer. Insertions are primarily intracellular through epidermal cells. Once inserted, the stylet bundle then follows a mixed intracellular and intercellular pathway, the latter predominating, when penetrating the plant tissue to the feeding site, the xylem ray parenchyma cells. We observed evidence of salivary secretions, tracks, and sheaths produced by A. tsugae in the plant similar to those produced by aphids and other adelgids in their host plants.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoung, Rebecca F.; Shields, Kathleen S.; Berlyn, Graeme P. 1995. Hemlock woolly adelgid (Homoptera: Adelgidae): stylet bundle insertion and feeding sites. Annals of the Entomological Society of America. 88: 827-835.
KeywordsAdelges tsugae, hemlock woolly adelgid, stylet bundle
- Impacts of hemlock decline and ecological considerations for hemlock stand restoration following hemlock woolly adelgid outbreaks
- Stylet bundle morphology and trophically related enzymes of the hemlock woolly adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae)
- The aftermath of an invasion: Structure and composition of Central Appalachian hemlock forests following establishment of the hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae
XML: View XML