Skip to Main Content
DNA barcodes to identify species and explore diversity in the Adelgidae (Insecta: Hemiptera: Aphidoidea)Author(s): R.G. Foottit; H.E.L. Maw; N.P. Havill; R.G. Ahern; M.E. Montgomery
Source: Molecular Ecology Resources. 9 (Suppl. 1): 188-195.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (675.03 KB)
DescriptionThe Adelgidae are relatively small, cryptic insects, exhibiting complex life cycles with parthenogenetic reproduction. Due to these characteristics, the taxonomy of the group is problematic. Here, we test the effectiveness of the standard 658-bp barcode fragment from the 5'-end of the mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase 1 gene (COI) in differentiating among 17 species of Adelgidae, in associating life-cycle stages, and in assessing patterns of geographical variation in selected species. Species of Adelgidae are well-differentiated by DNA barcodes, enabling the identification of different morphological forms, immature stages and individuals on different hosts and at different periods of the life cycle. DNA barcodes have uncovered cryptic diversity within taxa and, in other cases, a lack of sequence divergence in species pairs previously separated by life-cycle characteristics, indicating a need for further taxonomic analysis.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFoottit, R.G.; Maw, H.E.L.; Havill, N.P.; Ahern, R.G.; Montgomery, M.E. 2009. DNA barcodes to identify species and explore diversity in the Adelgidae (Insecta: Hemiptera: Aphidoidea). Molecular Ecology Resources. 9 (Suppl. 1): 188-195.
KeywordsAdelgidae, COI, DNA barcoding, life cycles, mitochondrial DNA, parthenogenesis, species identification
- Taxonomic identity of a galling adelgid (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) from three spruce species in central Japan
- DNA barcode authentication and library development for the wood of six commercial Pterocarpus species: the critical role of xylarium specimens
- Application of DNA barcoding in forest biosecurity surveillance programs
XML: View XML