Skip to Main Content
The forest-land owners of KentuckyAuthor(s): Thomas W. Birch; Douglas S. Powell
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-57. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 101.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.48 MB)
DescriptionNinety-two percent of the commercial forest land in Kentucky--11 million acres--is in the hands of some 455,600 private owners. Ninety-four percent of these owners are individuals. The "average" individual owner is in late middle age, has little formal education, receives a modest income, has a farm or rural background, has owned his woodland more than 10 years, and lives within 1 mile of his only wooded tract. Thirty percent of the owners, controlling 54 percent of the private woodland, have harvested timber previously. Forty-seven percent of the owners intend to harvest in the future. These owners control 71 percent of the privately held commercial forest land in Kentucky. Most owners show little interest in forestry and only a scant knowledge of sound forestry practices. In fact, only 5 percent of the Kentucky owners have ever received forestry assistance, and majority of owners do not know who to contact for such assistance. Thirty-nine percent of the owners permit public use of this land.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationBirch, Thomas W.; Powell, Douglas S. 1978. The forest-land owners of Kentucky. Resour. Bull. NE-57. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 101.
- The forest-land owners of Maryland
- The forest-land owners of West Virginia
- The forest-land owners of New York
XML: View XML