Skip to Main Content
Moderate resolution remote sensing alternatives: a review of Landsat-like sensors and their applicationsAuthor(s): Scott L. Powell; Dirk Pflugmacher; Alan A. Kirschbaum; Yunsuk Kim; Warren B. Cohen
Source: Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. Vol. 1. 16 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (2.66 MB)
DescriptionEarth observation with Landsat and other moderate resolution sensors is a vital component of a wide variety of applications across disciplines. Despite the widespread success of the Landsat program, recent problems with Landsat 5 and Landsat 7 create uncertainty about the future of moderate resolution remote sensing. Several other Landsat-like sensors have demonstrated applicability. in key fields of earth observation research and could potentially complement or replace Landsat. The objective of this paper is to review the range of applications of 5 satellite suites and their Landsat-like sensors: SPOT, IRS, CBERS, ASTER, and ALI. We give a brief overview of each sensor, and review the documented applications in several earth observation domains, including land cover classification, forests and woodlands, agriculture and rangelands, and urban. We conclude with suggestions for further research into the fields of cross-sensor comparison and multi-sensor fusion. This paper is significant because it provides the remote sensing community a concise synthesis of Landsat-like sensors and research demonstrating their capabilities. It is also timely because it provides a framework for evaluating the range of Landsat alternatives, and strategies for minimizing the impact of a possible Landsat data gap.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPowell, S.L.; Pflugmacher, D.; Kirschbaum, A.A.; Kim, Y.; Cohen, W.B. 2007. Moderate resolution remote sensing alternatives: a review of Landsat-like sensors and their applications. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing. Vol. 1. 16 p.
KeywordsLandsat, SPOT, IRS, CBERS, ASTER, ALI
- A comparison of low cost satellite imagery for pastoral planning projects in Central Asia
- A review of surface energy balance models for estimating actual evapotranspiration with remote sensing at high spatiotemporal resolution over large extents
- Landsat continuity: issues and opportunities for land cover monitoring
XML: View XML