Skip to Main Content
Aerially applied methylcyclohexenone-releasing flakes protect Psuedotsuga menziesii stands from attack by Dendroctonus pseudotsugaeAuthor(s): N. E. Gillette; C. J. Mehmel; J. N. Webster; S. R. Mori; N. Erbilgin; D. L. Wood; J. D. Stein
Source: Forest Ecology and Management, 257(4): 1231-1236
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (0 B)
DescriptionWe tested methylcyclohexenone (MCH), an anti-aggregation pheromone for the Douglas-fir beetle (Dendroctonus pseudotsugae), for protection of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) stands by applying MCH-releasing polymer flakes by helicopter twice during summer 2006 to five 4.05-ha plots in the State of Washington, USA. Five similar plots served as untreated controls. We assessed D. pseudotsugae flight into study plots using baited pheromone traps, and tallied D. pseudotsugae attack rates on all P. menziesii trees in 2005 and 2006. We also measured stand basal area and incorporated that as an explanatory variable in the analysis. Significantly fewer D. pseudotsugae were trapped in treated plots than in control plots, and significantly fewer P. menziesii trees were attacked in treated plots than in control plots. The attack rate in untreated stands was nearly 10 times that of treated plots, and stands with higher basal area were significantly more likely to be attacked by D. pseudotsugae than were stands of lower basal area. Attack rates in 2006 and 2005 were significantly correlated, regardless of treatment.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGillette, N. E.; Mehmel, C. J.; Webster, J. N.; Mori, S. R.; Erbilgin, N.; Wood, D. L.; Stein, J. D. 2009. Aerially applied methylcyclohexenone-releasing flakes protect Psuedotsuga menziesii stands from attack by Dendroctonus pseudotsugae.. Forest Ecology and Management, 257(4): 1231-1236
KeywordsPheromones, Bark beetles, Scolytidae, Semiochemicals, Douglas-fir beetle, Scolytinae, Curculionidae
- A biodegradable formulation of MCH (3-Methylcyclohex-2-en-1-one) for protecting Pseudotsuga menziesii from Dendroctonus pseudotsugae (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) colonization
- Aerially applied verbenone-releasing flakes protect Pinus contorta stands from attack by Dendroctonus ponderosae in California and Idaho
- Trapping Douglas-fir beetle (Dendroctonus pseudotsugae) with pheromone baited multiple-funnel traps does not reduce Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) mortality
XML: View XML