Skip to Main Content
Development of wood decay in wound-initiated discolored wood of eastern red cedarAuthor(s): Walter C. Shortle; Kenneth R. Dudzik; Kevin T. Smith
Source: Holzforschung. 64: 529-536.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (258.42 KB)
DescriptionLogs of eastern red cedar, Juniperus virginiana L., with well-developed bands of light-colored wood ("included sapwood") within heartwood can be unsuitable for sawn wood products. This finding is in contrast to published information that the "included sapwood" is (1) a heartwood anomaly rather than sapwood and (2) its occurrence is not a reason to exclude this type of wood from commercial use. The alternative view presented here is that "included sapwood" is wound-initiated discolored wood which is the starting point for wood decay in living trees and which has adversely altered wood properties before the development of decay symptoms. Our study of the patterns of discoloration and decay, electrical resistance properties, elemental analysis, wood acidity, solubility in dilute NaOH, total phenol content, and tests of wood decay resistance indicated that the socalled included sapwood was discolored wood. This lightcolored discolored wood had no greater decay resistance than sapwood, a common finding in other tree species in which "included sapwood" is found.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShortle, Walter C.; Dudzik, Kenneth R.; Smith, Kevin T. 2010. Development of wood decay in wound-initiated discolored wood of eastern red cedar. Holzforschung. 64: 529-536.
Keywordsdecay resistance, discolored wood, "included sapwood", wood properties
- Antifungal activities of three supercritical fluid extracted cedar oils
- Skeleton decay in red cedar
- Comparative characterization of extractives in Alaskan Yellow, Eastern Red, and Western Red Cedars
XML: View XML