Skip to Main Content
FORCARB2: An updated version of the U.S. Forest Carbon Budget ModelAuthor(s): Linda S. Heath; Michael C. Nichols; James E. Smith; John R. Mills
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-67. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p. [CD-ROM].
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.41 MB)
DescriptionFORCARB2, an updated version of the U.S. FORest CARBon Budget Model (FORCARB), produces estimates of carbon stocks and stock changes for forest ecosystems and forest products at 5-year intervals. FORCARB2 includes a new methodology for carbon in harvested wood products, updated initial inventory data, a revised algorithm for dead wood, and now includes public forest land, reserved forest land, and forest land of low productivity. The model has been used to provide estimates and projections for policy-related needs, including the Resources Planning Act timber resource assessment and forest-related greenhouse gas inventories of the United States, and has provided the basis for an analysis of forest carbon for Ontario, Canada. The program is written in FORTRAN and is text based, though virtually every parameter is defined by input text-based files that can be modified or built by the user. We expect users who are fairly advanced in terms of knowledge about computers will be most capable in using this model. Step-by-step instructions for running the program, input and output files, and codes used are included, and input files for public forest lands of the United States are provided as an example. All electronic files for download, including the model source code, executable files, and input and output files are available at http://nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/35613.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeath, Linda S.; Nichols, Michael C.; Smith, James E.; Mills, John R. 2010. FORCARB2: An updated version of the U.S. Forest Carbon Budget Model. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-67. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p. [CD-ROM].
Keywordscarbon sequestration, forest inventory, RPA Assessment, carbon model, FIA
- US forest carbon calculation tool: forest-land carbon stocks and net annual stock change
- Methods and equations for estimating aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for trees in the U.S. forest inventory, 2010
- Guide to the Stand-Damage Model interface management system
XML: View XML