Skip to Main Content
Place visitation, place avoidance, and attitudinal ambivalence: new concepts for place research in urban recreation settingsAuthor(s): David B. Klenosky; Christine A. Vogt; Herbert W. Schroeder; Cherie LeBlanc Fisher
Source: In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 57-64.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (309.67 KB)
DescriptionThis paper draws on recent developments in research on consumer behavior and attitudes to better understand the range of behaviors and attitudes inherent in a diverse urban area. Using a mail survey of Chicago-area residents, we collected data (1) to examine residents' past visitation behavior and recommendations of places to visit and to avoid for a range of Chicago-area sites; and (2) to explore residents' attitudes (and distinguish between indifference and potential attitudinal ambivalence) toward the study sites using a bivariate model of attitudes. The study findings yielded insight into the mix of behaviors and attitudes that underlie urban recreation patterns and suggested several promising issues for future investigation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKlenosky, David B.; Vogt, Christine A.; Schroeder, Herbert W.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, Marshall, SaraJane. 2010. Place visitation, place avoidance, and attitudinal ambivalence: new concepts for place research in urban recreation settings. In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 57-64.
- Identifying the effects of cognitive, affective, and behavioral components on residents' attitudes toward place marketing
- Public Attitudes Toward Ecological Restoration
- The meaning of place: attachments to Femundsmarka National Park, Norway, among tourists and locals
XML: View XML