Skip to Main Content
Heritage tourism development in rural Russia: A case study in collaborative tourism planning in an international settingAuthor(s): Roy Ramthun; Susan Williams; Vladimir Shalaev; Svetlana Guseva; Irina Polinkova; Sofia Chervakova; Svetlana Ivanova; Anna Pahkmutova; Anastasia Shalaev
Source: In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 66-69.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (95.81 KB)
DescriptionIn the United States, advisers from such organizations as universities and extension services often assist rural communities with community planning and development efforts. These outside groups typically facilitate communication and discussion among stakeholders and help to lay out a process by which the community may proceed towards its shared goals. Faculty members from Concord University, West Virginia, were likewise invited to participate in the community planning process for a rural Russian community seeking to preserve a large historic estate and develop heritage tourism initiatives. Local stakeholders were enthusiastic about the project, yet many cross-cultural barriers slowed or obstructed the planning. Issues of Russian culture and the structure of local government have been identified as conditions that must be overcome for collaborative planning to work in a rural Russian community.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRamthun, Roy; Williams, Susan; Shalaev, Vladimir; Guseva, Svetlana; Polinkova, Irina; Chervakova, Sofia; Ivanova, Svetlana; Pahkmutova, Anna; Shalaev, Anastasia. 2010. Heritage tourism development in rural Russia: A case study in collaborative tourism planning in an international setting. In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 66-69.
- Tourism in rural Alaska
- It's real sustainable rural tourism development: case studies from the Heartland
- Participatory modeling of recreation and tourism
XML: View XML