Skip to Main Content
Normative tolerances for scuba divers and snorkelers: An application of the Potential for Conflict index2Author(s): Lauren M. Heesemann; Jerry J. Vaske; David K. Loomis
Source: In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 144-151.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (182.11 KB)
DescriptionThis study examines Florida Keys snorkeler and SCUBA diver encounter norms using the Potential for Conflict Index2 (PCI2). Snorkelers and SCUBA divers evaluated the acceptability of encountering a specific number of other snorkelers and SCUBA divers on a 7-point scale ranging from extremely acceptable (3) to extremely unacceptable (-3). Statistical analysis results were put into PCI2 templates to construct a graphic display of encounter norms for each recreation group. According to both snorkelers and SCUBA divers, as encounters increase, acceptability evaluations decrease. In addition, acceptability starts to decline at an encounter level of 5, not 0, which may be a function of safety. All recreationists consider a large number of snorkelers to be more acceptable than the same number of SCUBA divers, possibly due to their location in the water column.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHeesemann, Lauren M.; Vaske, Jerry J.; Loomis, David K. 2010. Normative tolerances for scuba divers and snorkelers: An application of the potential for conflict index2. In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 144-151.
- Visual observation of fishes and aquatic habitat [Chapter 17]
- Are the Keys loved to death? A study of diver specialization levels and preferences in the Florida Keys
- Utility and validation of day and night snorkel counts for estimating bull trout abundance in first-to-third order streams
XML: View XML