Skip to Main Content
Predictors of visitors' intention to return to a nature-based recreation areaAuthor(s): Jee In Yoon; Gerard Kyle
Source: In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 188-197.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (160.5 KB)
DescriptionThis study explored predictors of recreationists' intention to return to Santee Cooper Country (SCC), a popular destination for angling-based tourism in South Carolina. Our hypothesized model indicated that recreationists' experience use history and place satisfaction would positively affect four dimensions of place attachment to SCC. Place attachment was also modeled as a predictor of intention to return to SCC. In addition to testing the hypothesized relationships, this study examined the effect of two moderators, place familiarity and angling skill, on these relationships. Invariance tests across the four groups illustrated that highly skilled recreationists' intention to return was driven mostly by their emotional attachment to the recreation area, while the lower-skill group's intention to return was driven mainly by social ties to SCC. Place familiarity had no significant moderating effect.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoon, Jee In; Kyle, Gerard. 2010. Predictors of visitors' intention to return to a nature-based recreation area. In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 188-197.
- Examining the relationship of place attachment with pro-environmental intentions
- Using destination image to predict visitors' intention to revisit three Hudson River Valley, New York, communities
- Modeling recreation participants' willingness to substitute using multi-attribute indicators
XML: View XML