Skip to Main Content
"I just wanted to get away": An analysis of spring breakers' travel motivationsAuthor(s): Nuno F. Ribeiro; Paul E. Durrenberger; Careen M. Yarnal; Garry E. Chick
Source: In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 272-276.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (105.85 KB)
DescriptionScholarly research on Spring Break has grown substantially and has often associated spring breakers' motivations with a number of risky behaviors. Recent research, however, has challenged these assumptions. The purpose of this study was to examine spring breakers' motivations for going on Spring Break. Unlike the media portrayal of Spring Break as a time of excess and risky behaviors, results showed that participants went on Spring Break primarily to "get away" from school and associated responsibilities. Other motivations included the search for rest and relaxation, spending time with friends and family, experiencing Spring Break for the first time, and simple necessity. Implications for existing leisure theory and future motivational research are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRibeiro, Nuno F.; E. Durrenberger, Paul; Yarnal, Careen M.; Chick, Garry E. 2010. "I just wanted to get away": An analysis of spring breakers' travel motivations. In: Watts, Clifton E., Jr.; Fisher, Cherie LeBlanc, eds. Proceedings of the 2009 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-66. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 272-276.
- Reconceptualizing the motive/environment link in recreation choice behavior
- Translocation of 14-C in ponderosa pine seedlings
- An exploratory study of the outdoor recreation participation of families who have a child under sixteen
XML: View XML