Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
An answer to a burning question: what will the Forest Service spend on fire suppression this summer?Author(s): Karen L. Abt; Jeffrey P. Prestemon; Krista M. Gebert
Source: Fire Management Today 69(3):26-28
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (302.31 KB)
DescriptionWildfire management has become an ever-larger part of Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and other land management agency appropriations and expenditures. In fiscal year (FY) 2008, the wildfire program budget was nearly 44 percent of initial Forest Service discretionary appropriations (U.S. Congress 2008). Total expenditures for suppression eventually exceeded the initial appropriations by more than $500 million, resulting in additional appropriations from Congress and internal transfers from Forest Service programs. Clearly, wildfire suppression has become a dominant part of Forest Service budgeting, planning, and activities.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAbt, Karen L.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Gebert, Krista M. 2009. An answer to a burning question: what will the Forest Service spend on fire suppression this summer? Fire Management Today 69(3):26-28.
- Forecasting wildfire suppression expenditures for the United States Forest Service
- Chapter 17: Forecasting wildfire suppression expenditures for the United States Forest Service
- Venture capital: States suffer as suppression expenses climb
XML: View XML