Skip to Main Content
The role of the Forest Service in aquatic invasive species researchAuthor(s): Susan B. Adams; Kelly M. Burnett; Peter Bisson; Bret Harvey; Keith H. Nislow; Bruce E. Rieman; John Rinne
Source: In: Dix, Mary Ellen; Britton, Kerry, editors. A dynamic invasive species research vision: Opportunities and priorities 2009-29. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-79/83. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Research and Development: 55-66.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (100.93 KB)
DescriptionAquatic ecosystems include the most imperiled taxa in the United States, and invasive species are the second leading contributor to this imperilment. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Forest Service is legally mandated to sustainably manage aquatic habitats and native species on National Forest System (NFS) lands. Invasive species add complexity and uncertainty to natural resource management, and, thus, invasive species research is needed to guide effective, science-based management of aquatic systems. Although Forest Service Research and Development (R&D) scientists have much expertise to apply, aquatic invasive species research has not been an agency focus. We identify areas in which the Forest Service is well positioned to contribute research that other organizations are not addressing.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Susan B.; Burnett, Kelly M.; Bisson, Peter; Harvey, Bret; Nislow, Keith H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Rinne, John. 2010. The role of the Forest Service in aquatic invasive species research. In: Dix, Mary Ellen; Britton, Kerry, editors. A dynamic invasive species research vision: Opportunities and priorities 2009-29. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-79/83. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Research and Development: 55-66.
Keywordsinvasive species, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Forest Service Research and Development Invasive Species Strategic Program Area (SPA)
- Effects of nonindigenous invasive species on water quality and quantity
- Terrestrial animals as invasive species and as species at risk from invasions
- Invasive soil organisms and their effects on belowground processes
XML: View XML