Skip to Main Content
First report of the European oak borer, Agrilus sulcicollis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), in the United StatesAuthor(s): Robert A. Haack; Toby R. Petrice; James E. Zablotny
Source: Great Lakes Entomologist. 42: 1-7.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (339.65 KB)
DescriptionAgrilus sulcicollis Lacordaire was first reported in North America from Ontario, Canada in 2008; specimens were collected in the field on red oak (Quercus rubra L.), on sticky traps, and also found in insect collections that dated from 1995. After hearing of this discovery in Ontario, unidentified Agrilus specimens that had been collected in Michigan during recent field studies of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire, were examined. As a result, A. sulcicollis specimens were identified that had been collected in four Michigan counties during 2003 to 2008: Ingham, Oakland, Saint Clair, and Washtenaw. All Michigan specimens had been collected from sticky traps or reared from English oak, Q. robur L. This is the first establishment record of A. sulcicollis in the United States. In addition, A. sulcicollis adults were collected on sticky traps in Monroe and Orleans counties, New York, during surveys in 2009 that targeted A. planipennis. In Europe, A. sulcicollis infests primarily oak. Information is provided on U.S. collection records, U.S. port interception records, and basic life history data of A. sulcicollis.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationHaack, Robert A.; Petrice, Toby R.; Zablotny, James E. 2009. First report of the European oak borer, Agrilus sulcicollis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), in the United States. Great Lakes Entomologist. 42: 1-7.
- The European oak borer, Agrilus sulcicollis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae): new to North America
- Biology of the European oak borer in Michigan, United States of America, with comparisons to the native twolined chestnut borer
- Amplification of North American Red Oak Microsatellite Markers in European White Oaks and Chinese Chestnut
XML: View XML