Skip to Main Content
Simulation of dynamics of southern pine beetle hazard rating with respect to silvicultural treatment and stand developmentAuthor(s): D. J. Leduc; J. C. G. Goelz
Source: In: Stanturf, John A., ed. 2010. Proceedings of the 14th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–121. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 555-564.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (958.08 KB)
DescriptionThe hazard of southern pine beetle (SPB) infestations is affected by characteristics such as stand density, stand age, site quality, and tree size. COMPUTE P-LOB is a model that simulates the growth and development of loblolly pine plantations in the west gulf coastal plain. P-LOB was rewritten as COMPUTE SPB-Lob to update it for current operating systems and to incorporate three hazard rating models for SPB. The new program allows a user to simulate the growth of a loblolly pine plantation with different starting conditions and thinning criteria to provide an estimate of growth and yield along with the hazard of SPB infestation. This paper explains how to use this program with its added capabilities of more volume options and triggers that specify thinning by the level of basal area, trees per acre, or SPB hazard. Examples of output that show a range of different stand conditions and treatments are presented.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeduc, D.J.; Goelz, J.C.G. 2010. Simulation of dynamics of southern pine beetle hazard rating with respect to silvicultural treatment and stand development. In: Stanturf, John A., ed. 2010. Proceedings of the 14th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–121. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 555-564.
- Visual Basic Growth-and-Yield Models With A Merchandising Optimizer For Planted Slash and Loblolly Pine in the West Gulf Region
- Documentation and user guides for SPBLOB: a computer simulation model of the join population dynamics for loblolly pine and the southern pine beetle
- VB merch-lob: A growth-and-yield prediction system with a merchandising optimizer for planted loblolly pine in the west Gulf region
XML: View XML