Skip to Main Content
(3Z,6Z,9Z,12Z,15Z)-Pentacosapentaene and (Z) -11-Hexadecenyl Acetate: sex attractant blend for Dioryctria amatella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae).Author(s): Daniel Miller; Jocelyn Millar; Alex Mangini; Christopher Crowe; Gary Grant
Source: J. Econ.Entomol. 103(4):1216-1221
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Download Publication (237.0 KB)
DescriptionIn 2006-2008, we tested (3Z,6Z,9Z,12Z,15Z)-pentacosapentaene (pentaene) with the pheromone components (Z)-11-hexadecenyl acetate (Z11-16:Ac) and (Z)-9-tetradecenyl acetate (Z9-14:Ac), as sex attractants for four sympatric species of coneworms, Dioryctria Zeller (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in slash (Pinus elliottii Engelm.) and loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) seed orchards in Georgia and Louisiana, respectively. The addition of pentaene increased catches of male southern pine coneworm, Dioryctria amatella (Hulst), in wing traps baited with Z11-16:Ac, whereas catches of Dioryctria disclusa Heinrich in traps baited with Z9-14:Ac were unaffected by the addition of pentaene. The effect of pentaene on male Dioryctria merkeli Mutuura & Munroe was inconsistent. In 2006, pentaene seemed to inhibit attraction of D. merkeli to traps baited with Z9-14:Ac, whereas in a subsequent trial in 2008, moths were equally attracted to Z9-14:Ac with or without the pentaene. We caught too few Dioryctria clarioralis (Walker) in any experiment for meaningful analyses. Our field results with pentaene and the unresolved complexity of the taxonomy, ecology, and management of southern coneworms support the need for a comprehensive examination of the chemical ecology of Dioryctria spp.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, D.R.; Millar, J.G.; Mangini, A.; Crowe, C.M.; Grant, G. 2010. (3Z,6Z,9Z,12Z,15Z)-Pentacosapentaene and (Z) -11-Hexadecenyl Acetate: sex attractant blend for Dioryctria amatella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). J. Econ.Entomol. 103(4):1216-1221.
Keywords(3Z, 6Z, 9Z, 12Z, 15Z) -pentacosapentaene, Dioryetria amatella, Dioryctria merkeli, Dioryctria disclusa, Dioryctria clarioralis
- A Hydraulically Operated Pine Cone Cutter
- (3Z,6Z,9Z,12Z,15Z)-Pentacosapentane and (9Z, 11E)-Tetradecadienyl Acetate: Attractant Lure Blend for Dioryctria ebeli (Lepidopterea: Pyralidae)
- Synthetic pheromones disrupt male Dioryctria spp. moths in a loblolly pine seed orchard
XML: View XML