Skip to Main Content
Isolation of a baculovirus variant that exhibits enhanced polyhedra production stability during serial passage in cell cultureAuthor(s): James M. Slavicek; Melissa J. Mercer; Mary Ellen Kelly; Nancy Hayes-Plazolles
Source: Journal of Invertegrate Pathology. 67: 153-160.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (179.82 KB)
DescriptionThe formation of few polyhedra mutants during serial propagation of baculoviruses in cell culture encumbers commercial scale production in this system. A Lymantria dispar nuclear polyhedrosis virus (LdMNPV) variant (isolate A21-MPV) has been isolated and the traits of budded virus (BV) production, synthesis of polyhedra, the percentage of cells that produce polyhedra, and the formation of few polyhedra (FP) mutants were investigated during serial passage of the variant in L. dispar 652Y cells. Isolate A21-MPV exhibited stable levels of BV production and polyhedra production and a small increase in the percentage of cells that produced polyhedra during five serial passages in cell culture. In contrast, isolate A21, a wildtype isolate, exhibited a significant increase in BV production and a decrease in polyhedra production and in the number of cells that produced polyhedra during five serial passages.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSlavicek, James M.; Mercer, Melissa J.; Kelly, Mary Ellen; Hayes-Plazolles, Nancy. 1996. Isolation of a baculovirus variant that exhibits enhanced polyhedra production stability during serial passage in cell culture. Journal of Invertegrate Pathology. 67: 153-160.
KeywordsLymantria dispar, L. dispar 652Y cell line, L. dispar M nuclear polyhedrosis virus, few polyhedra mutant, serial passage, biological control
- Identification of a Lymantria dispar nucleopolyhedrovirus isolate that does not accumulate few-polyhedra mutants during extended serial passage in cell culture
- Rapid formation of few polyhedral mutants of Lymantria dispar multinucleocapsid nuclear polyhedrosis virus during serial passage in cell culture
- Replication and inclusion body characteristics of two Lymantria dispar nuclear polyhedrosis virus plaque variants
XML: View XML