Skip to Main Content
Sequence and analysis of the genome of a baculovirus pathogenic for Lymantria disparAuthor(s): John Kuzio; Margot N. Pearson; Steve H. Harwood; C. Joel Funk; Jay T. Evans; James M. Slavicek; George F. Rohrmann
Source: Virology. 253: 17-34.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (503.58 KB)
DescriptionThe genome of the Lymantria dispar multinucleocapsid nucleopolyhedrovirus (LdMNPV) was sequenced and analyzed. It is composed of 161,046 bases with a G + C content of 57.5% and contains 163 putative open reading frames (ORFs) of ≥150 nucleotides. Homologs were found to 95 of the 155 genes predicted for the Autographa californica MNPV (AcMNPV) genome. More than 9% of the LdMNPV genome was occupied by 16 repeated genes related to AcMNPV ORF2. Readily identifiable homologs of several genes that have been reported to play important roles in the AcMNPV life cycle are not present; these include ie-2, a transcriptional transactivator, and gp64, a major envelope glycoprotein of the nonoccluded form of the virus. A number of genes lacking in AcMNPV but present in other baculoviruses were identified; these include two viral enhancing factor homologs, a second copy of a conotoxin-like gene, and a dutpase homolog.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKuzio, John; Pearson, Margot N.; Harwood, Steve H.; Funk, C. Joel; Evans, Jay T.; Slavicek, James M.; Rohrmann, George F. 1999. Sequence and analysis of the genome of a baculovirus pathogenic for Lymantria dispar. Virology. 253: 17-34.
Keywordsbaculovirus, nuclear polyhedrosis virus, genome sequence
- Characterization of the Lymantria dispar nucleopolyhedrovirus 25K FP gene
- Geographic isolates of Lymantria dispar multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus: Genome sequence analysis and pathogenicity against European and Asian gypsy moth strains
- Identification and characterization of the ecdysteroid UDPglucosyltransferase gene of the Lymantria dispar multinucleocapsid nuclear polyhedrosis virus
XML: View XML