Skip to Main Content
The value of urban tree cover: A hedonic property price model in Ramsey and Dakota Counties, Minnesota, USAAuthor(s): Heather Sander; Stephen Polasky; Robert Haight
Source: Ecological Economics. 69: 1646-1656.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (253.32 KB)
Related Research Highlights
The Value of Urban Tree Cover
DescriptionUrban tree cover benefits communities. These benefits' economic values, however, are poorly recognized and often ignored by landowners and planners. We use hedonic property price modeling to estimate urban tree cover's value in Dakota and Ramsey Counties, MN, USA, predicting housing value as a function of structural, neighborhood, and environmental variables, including tree cover, using a spatial simultaneous autoregressive (SAR) error model. We measure tree cover as percent tree cover on parcels, and within 100, 250, 500, 750, and 1000 m. Results show that tree cover within 100 and 250 m is positive and statistically significant.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSander, Heather; Polasky, Stephen; Haight, Robert. 2010. The value of urban tree cover: A hedonic property price model in Ramsey and Dakota Counties, Minnesota, USA. Ecological Economics. 69: 1646-1656.
Keywordshedonic pricing, urban forestry, tree cover
- Ecological consequences of fragmentation and deforestation in an urban landscape: a case study
- Multiple health benefits of urban tree canopy: The mounting evidence for a green prescription
- Calculating the green in green: What's an urban tree worth?
XML: View XML